[arch-general] Firefox on Arch - crash on exit

Tim Gelter tgelter at gurulabs.com
Mon Jul 20 11:37:10 EDT 2009

Andrei Thorp wrote:
> Excerpts from Tim Gelter's message of Mon Jul 20 11:18:38 -0400 2009:
>> Andrei Thorp wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Tim Gelter's message of Mon Jul 20 10:48:54 -0400 2009:

>>> I don't know what you issue is (though I don't find Firefox good in
>>> general), but I can provide you a way to automatically kill Firefox on
>>> firefox exit if you like...
>>>
>>> (just a wrapper shell script/alias)
>> I appreciate the offer, but it'd be easy enough to do something like:
>> alias firefox="killall firefox && firefox"
>> What I'm looking for is an answer to why Firefox has this issue on arch,
>> but not on other mainstream distros. Or am I really the only user
>> experiencing this issue? (other than the couple of guys who responded
>> saying that deleting a lock file or two solved the issue for them)
>
> Yeah, I figured you'd know how to do this. I can't speak for everyone,
> but I have no such issues like this with Firefox personally, I'm sorry
> to say.

To whomever might have insight into what's happening, here is what
happens if I attach to the running firefox process after closing
firefox. I can also attach a trace of firefox from the beginning of
operation if that would help. If this is better meant to be included as
a bug report, I can certainly do that but I fear it'll be rejected as
"works for me" by a developer as it seems it only affects some of us.
#  ps -ef | grep -i firefox
tgelter   4688  4329  2 08:40 ?        00:01:23 /usr/bin/firefox
root ~ #  strace -p 4688
Process 4688 attached - interrupt to quit
futex(0x7fea3538c0d0, FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE, 2, NULL

^C <unfinished ...>
Process 4688 detached