[arch-general] Where can I find the "boot" log to find out what failed on boot?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Jul 27 12:07:36 EDT 2009

Xavier wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 5:56 PM, David Rosenstrauch<darose at darose.net> wrote:
>> David C. Rankin wrote:
>>> Weeks ago, I learned that kdm doesn't belong in the DAEMONS LINE and
>>> moved it to inittab.
>> ?  That's always worked fine for me.  (At least with both kdm3 and slim.)
>>
>> Can you elaborate?  What's the issue?
>>
>> DR
>>

> archwiki is your friend :
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Adding_a_login_manager_%28KDM,_GDM,_or_XDM%29_to_automatically_boot_on_startup#Configure_loading_the_Display_Manager

"The inittab method is recommended for various reasons, one being that
it will allow you to boot directly into framebuffer mode from GRUB. This
is an advantage should the graphics driver crash in X, for example, you
would not be forced to fix your system from a live cd or through other
needlessly complex means.

With the inittab method all you would have to do is to press 'e' for
edit at the GRUB prompt and just add:

3

to the end of the 'kernel' line to boot directly into framebuffer mode
in order to fix your system/X (This is also described more thoroughly &
descriptive below.)"

Hmmm ... still not sure I get what the problem is.  Any time I've ever
run into a situation where either X or the DM crashes, it leaves me at a
console login prompt.  So I can just login to the console and fix things
from there - no live CD needed.

Incorrect/misleading Wiki page, methinks ...

DR