[arch-general] how to migrate installs between hard drives?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Jul 27 12:10:18 EDT 2009

solsTiCe d'Hiver wrote:
> if think dd is the worst way to copy data between disk or partition
>
> i used to copy data from one partition to another the "old" way by using
> tar and a pipe
>
> tar -C /myfirst partition -csSf -|tar -C /mysecondpartition -xSsp
>
> rsync is not bad too.

I also prefer to handle this type of things using tar, though without
the pipe.  I generally will generate a full tar archive of the original
partition, then copy it over to the other disk and either fully untar
it, or untar portions of it.  The reason I go for the full archive is
because I like to keep the tarball around afterwards in case I need to
repeat the process, need to untar additional portions of it, etc.

DR