[arch-general] My D-Bus/Hal/PolicyKit Fix - Useful for Admin Users

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Jun 1 15:15:31 EDT 2009

Listmates,

	Since I continually fight d-bus and hal on hotplugging issues, I thought I
would pass along the fix that worked for me. Since this is a full access fix,
I decided it shouldn't be posted to the wiki. Let me know if you think
differently or feel free to post it yourself. Here is what worked for me for
hotplugging usb drives, etc...

  Granting Full Access to a Single User:

	To grant access to a single user (say yourself maybe), modify the following 2
files as follows. For example purposes, I am granting myself username "david"
complete access to all d-bus/hal devices:

/etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf:

  <policy user="david">
    <allow own="org.freedesktop.Hal"/>
  </policy>

/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf:

<config version="0.1">

	<match user="david">
		<return result="yes"/>
	</match>

</config>

	Works fine here. Let me know if you see any real gotchas about this approach.
Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC