[arch-general] My D-Bus/Hal/PolicyKit Fix - Useful for Admin Users

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Jun 3 00:20:26 EDT 2009

On or about Tuesday 02 June 2009 at approximately 16:12:17 Vinzenz Vietzke
composed:
> Isn't your approach similar to
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HAL#Permission_Denied ? Or am I
> totally wrong?

	No, you are right! That's what I read through before throwing 90% of the
specific stuff mentioned there out the window in favor of the brute force
approach.

	The problem with the solutions on the page is they appear to be shooting at
the moving target of the kernel/d-bus/hal/policykit "standard setup". Wading
in a bit you soon realize you can set up an infinite (almost) set of policies
by applying different pieces of the policy at different levels of the scheme.
Some can be applied at the hal level others at the policy kit level, etc.

	I picked apart the suse scheme looking at their solution and there just
wasn't a "standard" setup. You can accomplish the same thing 5 different ways
when you add user and group memberships, the deny/allow configurations and on
and on.

	For a single user machine (my laptop in my case), I just want things to work
when I plug them in. I want drives automounted and I want removables
recognized. I don't care for the elaborate multiuser policies that may apply
and be useful, in what? -- 5% of all installs.

	So you are not totally wrong, I did make good use of the wiki, then politely
threw 90% of it out ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC