[arch-general] Funny locale settings, Gnome versus command line

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Jun 3 04:21:27 EDT 2009

I just noticed something rather irritating, in my Gnome clock applet
the week starts on Tuesday.  It would be much better if it started on
Monday.

While trying (and failing) to find out why this was I ran `cal` on the
command line, in `cal` the week starts on Sunday.  Again I'd like it
to start on Monday.

I also noticed that Gnome's tool to set time and date (System ->
Administration -> Time and Date) correctly shows the week as starting
on Monday.

In my rc.conf I set the locale to en_GB.UTF-8, and my terminal seems
to agree with me:

% locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

How do I get the Gnome clock to start the week on Monday?

How do I get `cal` to start the week on Monday?

/M