[arch-general] Funny locale settings, Gnome versus command line

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Jun 3 05:46:36 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 09:58 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> >
>> > By fixing the locale definition in glibc. Really, this has been fixed by
>> > other distributions a long time ago, but I think the patch was lost on
>> > some upgrade we did to our glibc package a while ago. As you might know,
>> > upstream doesn't accept patches for things like locale bugs. Debian has
>> > patches for over 50 locales, that's why they switched to eglibc instead
>> > of glibc now.
>>
>> Yes, I've heard of the problems with glibc upstream.
>>
>> However, looking through the patches that Debian has they don't seem
>> to be related to first weekday at all :-(
>>

> They have had quite some weekday fixes for a while, but since they moved
> to eglibc instead of glibc, these fixes have been merged in the new
> upstream.

I did make sure to look at the glibc sources rather than the eglibc sources.

first_weekday and first_workday are both set to 2 which matches other
locales that I know uses Monday as first weekday as well.

Given that the version of cal in Arch doesn't use locale, is there
some other tool that definately, without any doubt, uses locale so I
can double check.  So far it looks like the Gnome clock applet is
broken, but I'd like to confirm, beyond any doubt, that the en_GB
locale is correct before I raise bugs.

/M