[arch-general] gstreamer naming

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Thu Jun 4 11:12:04 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 16:43 +0200, Lukáš Jirkovský wrote:
> Hello,
> I've a question - why are gstreamer packages named gstreamer0.10 and
> not gstreamer? I can see it also in Debian, but I don't see any sense
> in appending version to the package name.
>
> Lukas "stativ"

This is because we used to have gstreamer (0.8) and gstreamer0.10
(0.10). Applications working with 0.8 don't work with 0.10, and the
other way around. After a year or so most apps have been ported to 0.10,
so we decided to remove the old packages. I decided to keep this
versioned name, becauase in the near future we'll have the same with
gstreamer 0.12, which will be parallel installable with 0.10 also.