[arch-general] Solved : Re: Light-weight SMTP "server"

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Sat Jun 6 10:12:53 EDT 2009

On Sat, June 6, 2009 7:01 am, Magnus Therning wrote:
> Why do you _need_ an SMTP server?
>  From the sounds of it you could use your ISP's server directly from the
> laptop via the VPN connection.  Either that, or as another poster
> suggested,
> use SSH port forwarding to get to the SMTP server.
>
> /M
>
> --
> Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
> magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org
> http://therning.org/magnus         identi.ca|twitter: magthe

Well, the way I have my setup configured is that all my email - both in
and out - goes through my home server.  My server uses fetchmail to grab
incoming mail from the ISP, dovecot to provide IMAP capabilities on my
server, and exim with smart host forwarding to send mail out.  A bit
complicated, I know, but this way all my mail is on my home server, not at
my ISP, automatically gets backed up, etc.

The reason I use VPN is because I need to access both SMTP port and IMAP
port from the server (as well as SSH).  It starts to get to be a pain to
set up multiple SSH tunnels.

DR