[arch-general] install packages using links?

Henning Garus henning.garus at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 6 18:43:45 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 11:19 PM, clemens
fischer<ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org> wrote:

> The advantage is easy to see:  you can always see what package some file
> belongs to,

pacman -Qo /path/to/file

>and removing a package is as simple as removing matching
> links and the installation directory.

pacman -R pkgname

> All files belonging to a package
> are in one place.

Well not quite the same, but pacman -Ql pkgname can be used to similar effect

> Would going this route for arch-linux packages be seen as an
> improvement?

Let me get this straight, you propose to use one tool for package
management (spill) together with another tool for package management
(pacman)? Why? Admittedly symlinking ala spill is a nice and very KISS
way of keeping track of files in your system, but since Arch already
has a tool to do this, which keeps track of dependencies as well, why
use a second one?

  Henning