[arch-general] install packages using links?

clemens fischer ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org
Tue Jun 9 06:05:18 EDT 2009

Andrei Thorp wrote:

> Okay, but how do those links get to the places they're supposed to be
> if you don't update packages to put them there?

Currently all files are there, no need to change that, it works.  If any
package is updated, the files would have to be replaced anyway, so put
links to the actual places there.

This is what I'm doing in /usr/local for self installed and local stuff.
I have non-symlinked packages there and the newer symlink-style.  There
is no service disruption.

> Anyway, I think there is a widely echoed polite "decent idea if we
> didn't already have all we need. No thank you".

Yes, I somehow came to the same conclusion  8-) There are many archlinux
packages I don't care changing and I can use them as they are, for
others, I have my symlinked installs in /usr/local.  No problem.

clemens