[arch-general] Openbox - great lightweight desktop, similar to icewm, but better in several regards

Andrei Thorp garoth at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 08:47:04 EDT 2009

I come from a place where they say, "Friends don't let friends use
non-tiling window managers" ;)

As such, while we're on the topic, I think nothing really gives you
your bang for your computer power like a tiling wm does.

Some of the best ones now seem to be:

 - Xmonad
 - Wmii
 - Awesome WM (My personal favourite which comes with a run prompt,
menus, and notifications built in)

These systems tend to take more effort to run, but are very rewarding
when you learn them. They let you work faster and better than ever,
and are some of the most customizable window managers ever made. I've
also noted a rather large community within Arch that uses tiling WMs
and especially Awesome where it seems like half the IRC channel's on
Arch.

Sorry for the plug, cheers ;)

-AT