[arch-general] Stolen Logo

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Jun 10 14:04:15 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 10 June 2009 06:34:20 Jozsef wrote:
> what a strange people they are. first they steal the logo, then thay said
> it was made by themself and now it's dissapeard from their website. wow :)
>
> Best,
> Jozsef
>
> --
> "Fear God, and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come;
> worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of
> waters." Revelation 14:7
>
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Matthew <pyther at pyther.net> wrote:
> > Alessandro Doro wrote:
> >> j: http://www.archlinux.org/feeds/news/
> >
> > Well it looks as if the logo disappeared from their website.
> >
> > http://www.aceitutoring.com.au

That's called the old:

	President of Def. Co. (PDC) to Arch:  "That's our logo, it is our original
artwork and we will kindly keep it. Thank you."

..later..

	PDC to attorney: "You know, we received this email from a Linux company
telling us that we are using their logo and they want us to stop using is and
take it off our site, literature, and vehicles. I don't want that hassle so I
told the Linux company it was ours, what do you think?"

	Attorney:  "Well, where did the logo come from?"

	PDC to attorney:  "Hell, I don't know. Somebody showed us a proposal for a
logo and I liked it. I didn't as where it came from. What does that matter
anyway?"

	Attorney:  "Well, it could make a difference. You want me to check into
this?"

	PDC to Attorney:  "Yes, please!"

	Attorney to Marketing Dept.:  "I need to ask you a few questions about the
logo, first, where did you get it?"

	Marketing: "I dunno, I think it was something the web designers showed us."

	Attorney to Marketing:  "Do you use and outside company for web design or do
they work for you?"

	Marketing:  "No, they are part of our marketing department. Why do you ask?"

	Attorney to Marketing:  "Did you ask where it came from?"

	Marketing:  "No, why would I?"

	Attorney:  "Thanks, can you transfer me to the web developer group?"

	Attorney to Web Devs:  "Guys, we have a little problem with the site I need
to talk with you about. It seems that the logo you are using on the site and
that you provided to the company is claimed to be owned by a Linux company,
did you provide the logo to the company?

	Web devs:  "Yes, we provided it to the company, why do you ask?"

	Attorney:  "Where did you get it?"

	Web devs:	 "Uh, I dunno, can I check into it and call you back?"

	Attorney"  "Sure, call me in an hour."

	cell phone traffic goes nuts among web devs involved....

	Web devs to Attorney:  "Uh, well, one of our new guys said he just went out
on the web searching for a cool looking "A", found one and just downloaded the
one he liked and put it in the web site."

	Attorney:  "Where on the web did it come from?"

	Web devs:  "Uh, who knows, the guy that downloaded it just saved the file in
the 'pictures' folder and can't remember where he got it from"

	Attorney:  "( thinking -- Oh brother, how thick can you be).. Thanks, that's
what I needed to know"

	Attorney to PDC:  "Bob, we have a problem... You need to tell those idiots in
web dev to pull the graphic from the site immediately, and if you get any
correspondence from the Linux Co., just pretend you don't understand what the
big deal is. As far as you know an "A" is just the first letter of the
alphabet.

	We don't want the attorneys for the Linux Co. involved just yet, because that
will just likely put everyone in battle mode, so just play it cool for now.
How much will it cost for you to redo the literature and vehicles? Find out.
Also, I need the start date for the logo use, your P&L statement for the year
before that time and a P&L from the time you started using the logo until the
present. Could you get that for me."

	PDC:  "I'll get the replacement costs, but why the P&Ls?"

	Attorney:  "Will discuss that later. Gotta go. Copy me on any correspondence
you get from the Linux Co. or intend to send back. I'll tell you when and if
you need to refer them to me. Don't send anything out until I have approved
it. Hopefully this will be resolved without any rocks being thrown, but you
need to get the logos changed now. And this time, ask where in the hell it
comes from and if there is any doubt call me."

	PDC (after hanging up): "Oh shit!, Marge get the Web dev team in here now!"

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC