[arch-general] Installing packages with different glibc

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Jun 10 22:49:43 EDT 2009

Baho Utot wrote:
> Does it create complications if I install packages built with a newer
> glibc-2.10.1-2 on a system with an older glibc-2.9-7?

Yes and no. Depending if the executable or library that is linked to
glibc uses a symbol with declaring what version use via ELF versioning.
You obtain it with a simple "readelf -s /path/to/executable | grep
@GLIBC_2.10".

Do this "readelf -s /lib/libc.so.6 | grep @GLIBC_2.10" and get an idea
of the minimal  functions that are only in version 2.10 ;)

And for threaded programs /lib/libpthread-2.10.1.so, but don't worry
about this at this time.

> According to LFS they say if you chnage glibc you should rebuilt all the
> installed packages with the newer glibc.

Not at all as you can see :)

> Does this hold true for Arch?

I doubt at this time. But later when the programs use specific features
of this version, for example malloc_info () fallocate (), yes.

If you are interested in these topics, can read a good paper from Ulrich
Drepper [#1]

Good Luck!

[#1] http://people.redhat.com/drepper/dsohowto.pdf

--