[arch-general] resolution stuck at 640x480

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Jun 13 03:07:35 EDT 2009

prad wrote:
> this is on an older machine 450MHz with 128M ram and 3D rage card -
> working off an lcd monitor for whom i've had to set
> horizsync 30-35
> vertrefresh 50-100
> (or it tries to overshoot the monitor's capabilities and the screen
> locks up with an outofrange error for the horizsync.
>
> everything installed fine, but even with the following in xorg.conf:
>
> driver set to ati
> defaultdepth to 16
> modes "1024x768" "800x600"
>
> it comes up as 640x480
>
> also, i need to
> exec xterm&
>
> before going into lxde or the cursor doesn't show up.
>
> i've already pacmaned
> xf86-video-r128 (rage driver)
> xf86-video-ati (ati driver)
>
> it works fine in 640x480 (though a bit rough), but it would be nice to
> get at least 800x600.

Prad,

	Here is my xorg.conf I am using with arch and a couple of older ATI cards. You
can just comment out the radeonhd driver and uncomment the radeon driver. I
don't think your card will be supported by the radeonhd driver. Using EXA
Acceleration will also help speed things up. Good luck, here is the link:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/linux/radeonhd/xorg.conf

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC