[arch-general] Making logs readable by other user than root

bardo ilbardo at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 06:01:02 EDT 2009

2009/6/13 Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:
> syslog-ng uses root:log in its default configuration. If it doesn't check
> /etc/syslog-ng.conf.pacnew and see if the log group exists for you.

I'll almost hijack the thread because I have an issue open with log
files in a [community] package, mldonkey. This package has a daemon
that drops privileges to a local user, usually a physical one, so it
has troubles logging. At the moment it logs in /tmp/, and logs get
deleted at reboot. An alternative, maybe more appropriate, would be
/var/run/mldonkey/, but it has the same issue, and log files should be
persistent.

I was requested by a user to create a /var/log/mldonkey/ directory and
put log files there, owned by the daemon-configured user, however I'm
not too fond of the idea of having user-owned files in a system
directory like /var/log/, even though in an isolated part of it.

Can I have an opinion from developers about this matter?

Thanks,
Corrado