[arch-general] dmraid disk failure - howto rebuild new disk - gparted hates Me :-(

Jonathan Brown jbssfl at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 13 09:55:48 EDT 2009

For the situation you are in (failing drives), dd or ddrescue or dd_rescue (I prefer dd_rescue myself) is definitely the best method for cloning failing drives-

I usually just boot up into RIPLinux or System Rescue CD (nothing gets mounted)... and away you go..!!  with ddrescue, if you have setup networking in your live environment, you can use sshfs and create an error log as well..

Good luck!