[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Kill old gcc versions

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sun Jun 14 18:13:34 EDT 2009

Baho Utot schrieb:
>         -1 from me
>

>         IMHO I would like it to see them stay in extra
>
>         For example : imlib which has errors compiling with gcc-4.4.0
>         compiles fine with gcc-3.4

Every normal package can be fixed to compile with the latest gcc, the
right way is always to do that, not to stick to legacy compilers
(besides, imlib must have built with 4.3.0, so the issue must be a minor
non-standard-compliance in the code).

qemu was an exception because its code generators relied on the way gcc3
generated the code. About virtualbox, it probably suffers from similar
problems. But those are special cases - imlib is certainly no reason to
keep a legacy compiler.