[arch-general] New 64 bit computer

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Jun 16 07:10:56 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin schrieb:
> 	Your alternative is to use the radeonhd driver. I'm not 100% sure, but I
> believe your card is supported. The radeonhd driver is really making progress
> and is a very good open-Source driver. I use it with laptop running Arch. Heat
> is a bit of a problem on my laptop, but for a desktop you won't notice any
> difference aside from a degree or two on case temperature rise. In the tiny
> space inside a laptop -- the difference is about 20 degrees F.

You could also use the radeon driver from the xf86-video-ati package, it
should support everything radeonhd supports (maybe with some delay, but
then radeonhd has longer release cycles, so the xorg one might still be
faster).

Another note about fglrx/catalyst: We used to support this driver but it
was a real mess and ultimately, nobody wanted to do it anymore. The
problem is that ATI doesn't simply support the latest Xorg and kernel
versions like nvidia does, but only the latest versions of some
distributions. Therefore when a new kernel or xorg-server was released,
we had to wait until any of the "supported" distributions used it, ATI
wouldn't bother making the driver compatible before that. That was
really slowing Arch down, so we dropped it. Ultimately, the radeonhd and
radeon drivers should support all of the card's features, now that ATI
is releasing specs.