[arch-general] New 64 bit computer

Dwight Schauer dschauer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 11:09:22 EDT 2009

I have to agree, ATI is big no no if you want a decent workstation
setup. I've tried a whole lot to use ATI instead of Nvidia but it just
never pans out. I've wasted a lot of money and a whole lot of time on
ATI cards and just end up ripping the card out and putting in an
Nvidia one. I don't even use my computers for gaming, that is not the
issue at all with the video card. I just want something stable that
just works. I've researched what to buy as far as what is well
supported, tried both the free radeon and radeonhd drivers, and tried
the proprietery fglrx ones many times and really tried to come up with
working solutions. If you don't need X, than an ATI card will be fine.
Going Nvidia might not be the most "idealistic" route, but it is by
far the least amount of hassle in my opinion.