[arch-general] New 64 bit computer

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Jun 16 11:30:26 EDT 2009

Ricardo Hernandez wrote:
> David, indeed old ati card are well supported, new ati card are almost no
> supported.
>
> 2009/6/17 David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net>
>
>> Are you referring to old ATI cards?  Or new ones?
>>
>> Dunno ... I've used a number of ATI cards, and haven't had problems. I'm
>> currently using a laptop with a ATI Mobility Radeon 9000, and a
>> desktop/server with a ATI Radeon 9200 SE - both without incident.
>>
>> DR

Ah, I see.

I guess my rule of thumb with Linux in general, though, is:  don't use
cutting edge hardware.  Linux usually winds up with excellent driver
support for most pieces of hardware over time.  But the cutting edge
stuff often runs into issues resulting from some vendor or another not
wanting to open source their driver code.  Today it's ATI's turn, but in
the past we've lived through that dance with nVidia, Creative Labs,
various wifi and network card manufacturers, etc.

Dunno ... IMO you're best off choosing tried and true components for a
Linux machine.  And if you choose to live on the cutting edge, set your
expectations accordingly!  :-)

DR