[arch-general] New 64 bit computer

Dwight Schauer dschauer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 14:00:10 EDT 2009

Well, a few issues here.

1) Video card drivers for X for mostly user mode with a couple
exceptions, the proprietary ATI and Nvidia drivers needs proprieteray
closed source kernel module in order to make full use of the card.

2) If one does not care that their card is being fully utilized (both
outputs working correctly, 3D animation working satisfactorily or even
properly, etc), then one can use the free drivers included with Xorg.

3) ATI did release specs for some of their cards so that free drivers
can be written, but that effort is slow going, and even many of the
cards that the specs have been released for still have have a lot of
driver issues, so situation #2 above for many people is still not an
option.

There are other issues as well, but these are the major ones.

Intel does release specs and free drivers (including source) for
Linux. Unfortunately Intel does not make PCI or PCI express video
cards, in any configuration, that are available in mainstream retail.