[arch-general] New 64 bit computer

Dwight Schauer dschauer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 18:10:26 EDT 2009

Did you read the whole article? It may have been working, but not
without some issues. It other words, it was not working 100%, it still
had some things lacking.

>From the article: "Once installing the patched Radeon driver, it
immediately began working with our Diamond Radeon HD 4850 (identified
as a Wekiva RV770 B50102 Board through AtomBIOS). Granted, of course,
there is no 2D or 3D acceleration yet for the Radeon HD 4800 series.
Once the R600 series has 2D/3D support, it should be easily ported to
the RV770. The only other issue we have run into is the driver not
being able to read the EDID information from the monitor. We have
tried with multiple monitors and with all of them reading the EDID had
failed, which resulted in the X server defaulting to 1280 x 768."

Also see: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

My workstation at where I work had a newer ATI card in it. I could not
use with the free driver in any combination due to the card having
Display Port instead of DVI, so I had to go with the proprietary
driver. Once support for the proprietary driver was dropped and having
the old one stop working due to kernel and Xorg updates I finally just
pulled it out and put in and Nvidia card. Every computer I've worked
with over the past several years that had an ATI card it in I ended up
replacing with an Nvidia card due to one issue or another (not being
able to realiable watch movies, run compiz, connect more than one
monitor, whatever). With ATI I'd have the setup working for a while,
the some other update would come along and break it.

I wish it were not that way. I'd rather have all opensoruce drivers in
the the computers I use. When it comes to video cards, that just is
not a reality yet for me. Well, 1 current exception. My laptop has an
intel video chipset and I've had not any major problems with it using
the free Xorg drivers, even with 3D stuff or compiz.