[arch-general] New 64 bit computer

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Jun 17 11:10:44 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 16 June 2009 06:10:56 Thomas Bächler wrote:
> David C. Rankin schrieb:
> > 	Your alternative is to use the radeonhd driver. I'm not 100% sure, but I
> > believe your card is supported. The radeonhd driver is really making
> > progress and is a very good open-Source driver. I use it with laptop
> > running Arch. Heat is a bit of a problem on my laptop, but for a desktop
> > you won't notice any difference aside from a degree or two on case
> > temperature rise. In the tiny space inside a laptop -- the difference is
> > about 20 degrees F.
>
> You could also use the radeon driver from the xf86-video-ati package, it
> should support everything radeonhd supports (maybe with some delay, but
> then radeonhd has longer release cycles, so the xorg one might still be
> faster).

	Another alternative is to use the radeonhd git repository to pull the current
development version for the radeonhd driver and drm. The build is simple and
the development version provides a number of fixes for issues in the last
release of the radeonhd driver and improvements in chip power control. If you
want to use the radeonhd driver, I would use the driver from the git
repository.

See:

	http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd

	http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd%3AINSTALL

	For Arch, all you need to do is install the drm modules(drm.ko/radeon.ko) and
then build and install the radeonhd driver. There is also a radeonhd mailing
list where you can help out.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC