[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] status of vi/vim in testing

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 11:19:20 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Daenyth Blank<daenyth+arch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:11, Grigorios Bouzakis<grbzks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> No i dont mean symlinking vi to vim.
>> Thats not an option. See http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13239#comment39968
>> & downwards.
>> I mean building both in the same PKGBUILD. See the CRUX Pkgfile i posted
>> previously
>> I think it does exactly that.
>> --
>> Greg
>>

> Since having vi is required by the POSIX standards, wouldn't a bundled
> vi+vim make perl required? Or is it an actual optdepend for vim? (I'm
> not at my home box at the moment to check)

What do the POSIX standards say, having a vi named package, or binary?
I think its the second.
Vim in  testing has no X capabilities and only the perl interpeted enabled.
Still perl is only an optional dependency.
What if perl was an actual dependency. Its already in base. I dare not
to imagine
a system not having perl installed.
Anyway i dont know if my suggestion actually works as i imagine.

--
Greg