[arch-general] KDE4.3 Beta - Rocks, still a bit rough, but very usable as a primary desktop

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Jun 17 12:15:31 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 17 June 2009 11:04:51 David C. Rankin wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 June 2009 10:45:31 David Rosenstrauch wrote:
<snip>

> > AFAIK, none of the kdemod3 packages are dependent on KDE4 packages.
> > They probably came in with some KDE app you installed.  (e.g., k3b)
> >
> > > 	How would I uninstall this stuff so I can proceed with the
> > > kde4-unstable install??
> >
> > 1) pacman -Q | grep kde | grep -v kdemod3
> >
> > 2) Issue a "pacman -Rs" on every package that shows up from step one.
> >
> > If it pushes back at you telling you that one of those packages can't be
> > uninstalled because it's a dependency for something else, then that'll
> > tell you the reason why the kde4 packages got installed in the first
> > place.  At that point then you'll have to make the decision to uninstall
> > whatever app it is that needed the kde4 packages.
> >
> > DR
<snip>
> 	I'll report back after I try again....

Frick,

	Still 20440 lines of conflict:

[10:34 nirvana:/srv/www/download/Archlinux/bugs] # wc -l kde4-conflicts-
complete.txt
20440 kde4-conflicts-complete.txt

	The complete list is here (139k):

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/kde4-conflicts-
complete.txt.bz2

	What now?? (the -f option is looking mighty good about now since most of the
conflicts are man pages and icons.....)

P.S. - Does anybody know how to paste text into kde4 kmail without it
prompting for "Add as text" "Add as attachment"? That is annoying as hell when
you are trying to do a simple middle-mouse paste...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC