[arch-general] KDE4.3 Beta - Rocks, still a bit rough, but very usable as a primary desktop [SOLVED]

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:05:05 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 17 June 2009 11:15:31 David C. Rankin wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 June 2009 11:04:51 David C. Rankin wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 June 2009 10:45:31 David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > AFAIK, none of the kdemod3 packages are dependent on KDE4 packages.
> > > They probably came in with some KDE app you installed.  (e.g., k3b)

> > > 1) pacman -Q | grep kde | grep -v kdemod3
> > >
> > > 2) Issue a "pacman -Rs" on every package that shows up from step one.
> > >
> > > If it pushes back at you telling you that one of those packages can't
> > > be uninstalled because it's a dependency for something else, then
> > > that'll tell you the reason why the kde4 packages got installed in the
> > > first place.  At that point then you'll have to make the decision to
> > > uninstall whatever app it is that needed the kde4 packages.
> > >
> > > DR
>
> <snip>
>
> > 	I'll report back after I try again....
>
> Frick,
>
> 	Still 20440 lines of conflict:
>
> [10:34 nirvana:/srv/www/download/Archlinux/bugs] # wc -l kde4-conflicts-
> complete.txt
> 20440 kde4-conflicts-complete.txt
>
> 	The complete list is here (139k):
>
> http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/kde4-conflicts-
> complete.txt.bz2
>
> 	What now?? (the -f option is looking mighty good about now since most of
> the conflicts are man pages and icons.....)

<snip>

	I know all the warning about not using -f, but after reviewing the conflicts
being icons and other misc. files, I decided it was time for the 'nuclear
option'. So I reared back and let the following fly:

	pacman -Sy -f kde kde-extragear

and just hit return, return, return, return until it started installing. 264
packages later and after reinstalling k3b, and k9copy, walking over to the
server (I was working from my laptop via ssh for the install) and logging out
of kde3 and selecting 'kde' and the session type and ....

	DAMN what a good looking mirrored splash, and what a good looking desktop! It
all worked like a charm. kdemod3 works fine and kde-unstable seems to be doing
great. I'll start whittling away on more bugs on the arch version.

QUESTION:

	Does Arch want to be cc'ed in any way on the bugs I file with kde.org? Some
issues can implicate both arch as well as kde. What are the Arch guidelines on
this?? Thanks for everyone's help!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC