[arch-general] KDE4.3 Beta - Rocks, still a bit rough, but very usable as a primary desktop

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Jun 17 14:57:28 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 June 2009 11:04:51 David C. Rankin wrote:
>> On Wednesday 17 June 2009 10:45:31 David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> <snip>
>>> AFAIK, none of the kdemod3 packages are dependent on KDE4 packages.
>>> They probably came in with some KDE app you installed.  (e.g., k3b)

>>> 1) pacman -Q | grep kde | grep -v kdemod3
>>>
>>> 2) Issue a "pacman -Rs" on every package that shows up from step one.
>>>
>>> If it pushes back at you telling you that one of those packages can't be
>>> uninstalled because it's a dependency for something else, then that'll
>>> tell you the reason why the kde4 packages got installed in the first
>>> place.  At that point then you'll have to make the decision to uninstall
>>> whatever app it is that needed the kde4 packages.
>>>
>>> DR
> <snip>
>> 	I'll report back after I try again....
>
> Frick,
>
> 	Still 20440 lines of conflict:
>
> [10:34 nirvana:/srv/www/download/Archlinux/bugs] # wc -l kde4-conflicts-
> complete.txt
> 20440 kde4-conflicts-complete.txt
>
> 	The complete list is here (139k):
>
> http://www.3111skyline.com/download/Archlinux/bugs/kde4-conflicts-
> complete.txt.bz2
>
> 	What now?? (the -f option is looking mighty good about now since most of the
> conflicts are man pages and icons.....)

Not sure I understand.  You wouldn't be getting *any* conflicts if you
had uninstalled all the stock kde4 packages successfully.  Output from
the file you uploaded makes clear that you *haven't* uninstalled them.

Problem:
/usr/share/apps/kolourpaint/icons/hicolor/48x48/actions/tool_rect_selection.png
exists in both 'kdegraphics-kolourpaint' and 'kdegraphics'

Solution:
pacman -Rs kdegraphics

Problem:
/usr/bin/dragon exists in both 'kdemultimedia-dragonplayer' and
'kdemultimedia'

Solution:
pacman -Rs kdemultimedia

etc.

Then, when you're finished with all that, you then install kde again -
this time from unstable.

Not sure I understand what the issue is ...

DR