[arch-general] kde-unstable install - Round 2 - There is a BUG here...

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 20:04:42 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 6:49 PM, David C.
Rankin<drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> DR, List
>
>        Here is the situation after the difficulty I had installing kde-unstable on
> the x86_64 box where I finally just installed with '-f', I have the exact
> setup on an i686 box where I am trying to install kde-unstable, but this time
> finding a way to do it without resorting to the '-f' option. On the box, I
> have kdemod3 installed and configured and I have never specifically installed
> kde4 from anywhere (I guess I got it by default with the Arch install).
>
>        So far, all packages for kde-unstable have been downloaded to the i686 box
> when I tried to install kde-unstable with 'pacman -Sy kde kde-extragear'.
> There were 20000+ lines of conflicts of the following type:

<snip>

>        I give up ;-(  I'm pulling out the Nuclear option. I have uninstalled
> everything related to kde and kde-unstable still will not install. This has to
> be some type of bug. I'll report back after I get my system installed and
> running....

So you are right on a few counts. You *don't* have KDE installed, but
you told it to get installed when you did the -Syu operation.

See how pacman prompts twice for "group kde"? The first time is for
the [kde-unstable] repository; the second time is for [extra]. I'm not
familiar with the whole KDE setup, so I can't speak for kde-extragear,
but this is almost certainly what is going on.

Notice your conflict messages- they aren't saying anything about
conflicts with the filesystem, but conflicts between packages that are
to be installed:
    usr/lib/libsuperkaramba.so exists in both 'kdeutils-superkaramba'
and 'kdeutils'

The short-term fix is to do exactly as you did, but only answer "Y" to
the first kde group prompt, and "N" to the following one.

-Dan