[arch-general] kde-unstable install - Round 2 - There is a BUG here...

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Jun 17 22:21:17 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 17 June 2009 19:13:54 David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> On Wed, June 17, 2009 7:49 pm, David C. Rankin wrote:
> > DR, List
> >
> > 	Here is the situation after the difficulty I had installing kde-unstable
> > on
> > the x86_64 box where I finally just installed with '-f', I have the exact
> > setup on an i686 box where I am trying to install kde-unstable, but this
> > time
> > finding a way to do it without resorting to the '-f' option. On the box,
> > I have kdemod3 installed and configured and I have never specifically
> > installed
> > kde4 from anywhere (I guess I got it by default with the Arch install).
> >
> > 	So far, all packages for kde-unstable have been downloaded to the i686
> > box
> > when I tried to install kde-unstable with 'pacman -Sy kde kde-extragear'.
> > There were 20000+ lines of conflicts of the following type:
>
> Egads!  How many times do I have to say it?!?!?
>
> 1) First UNINSTALL any existing KDE packages.
> i.e., repeat:  pacman -Rs kde-<whatever>
>
> 2) Then, install KDE from unstable.
> i.e., pacman -S kde
>
> Sheesh!  :-)
>
> DR

Err umm, DR, umm:

	Did you miss this part, or are we somehow not communicating?

[18:02 supersff:/home/david] # pacman -Rs kde k3b k9copy kdiff3
kde not found, searching for group...
:: group kde:
    kdebase-runtime  kdelibs  kdemultimedia
    Remove whole content? [Y/n]

	then

[18:21 supersff:/home/david] # pacman -Q | grep kde | grep -v kdemod3
<nothing>

pacman -Rs kdemod3-complete basket compizconfig-backend-kconfig filelight
ksensors qcad

	then I even confirmed with:

pacman -Q -s | grep kde
<nothing>

	Then and only then did I

pacman -S kde

	and it still blew up with 20000+ conflicts

	What else could I have done??

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC