[arch-general] New Conflict on System Upgrade - license? pear? vi?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Jun 20 19:55:24 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin schrieb:
> Listmates,
>
> 	Here are some strange conflicts found during an attempted system update.
> Thankfully they are limited to the license package, pear and vi:
>
> (269/269) checking for file conflicts
> [#################################################] 100%
> error: could not prepare transaction
> error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
> licenses: /usr/share/licenses/common/FDL exists in filesystem
> licenses: /usr/share/licenses/common/GPL exists in filesystem
> licenses: /usr/share/licenses/common/GPL2/license.txt exists in filesystem
> licenses: /usr/share/licenses/common/LGPL exists in filesystem

This is a pacman bug where it finds false conflicts when there is a
symlink to a directory in the old package and a directory in the new one
(or the other way around, I don't remember).
I thought the package was supposed to be fixed, but apparently it
wasn't. -Sf licenses.

> php: /usr/share/pear/.registry/xml_util.reg exists in filesystem
[...]

No idea about php.

> vi: /usr/bin/view exists in filesystem

I had this more than once, no idea what causes it, but you can simply rm
/usr/bin/view and then update.

> 	I guess these are left overs from the earlier forced kde-unstable install.

I don't think that is the case.

> I'll try an uninstall of the packages and then a reinstall and see how it
> goes...

That should work, too.