[arch-general] Holy Cow -- What happened to bash / vi??

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Jun 22 01:26:21 EDT 2009

Listmates,

	I updated to [testing] and now I am having strange behavior from either bash
or vi. (the new vi has many issues, but ignoring those for the moment) I have
one of my simple parse scripts open in vi in one console window and I make a
few changes to a sed expression, then :w to save the changes and [shift]-> in
konsole to get to a second konsole window to run the script and bash won't let
me???

	I get this new message:

[00:08 archangel:/etc] # noc fstab
bash: /usr/local/bin/noc: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Text file busy

	WTF?? Here is the entire script:

[00:11 archangel:/etc] # cat /usr/local/bin/noc
#!/bin/bash

if [[ -z "$1" ]]; then
        echo -e "\n\n\tUsage: ${0##*/} <filename>"
        echo -e "\n\n\tParses the text file <filename> and removes all blank
lines and all lines beginning \
\n\twith a first non-blank character of [# ; !] or two character of '//' or
'/*'. \
\n\tIt is useful for looking at configuration files without all the comments.
\n"
        exit 1
fi

# updated to handle php, C and C++ // comments
sed -e '/^[/s]*$/d' -e '/^\s*[#;!]/d' -e '/^\s*[/*]/d' -e 's/[^:]\/\/.*$//'
<$1

exit 0

	Text file busy?? It's a text file, it's not busy, it's either saved or you
get what was present the last time it was saved, but it certainly isn't busy.

	Apparently bash is not looking for vi tmp file and calling it busy if
found??? What gives???

	Yep, that is exactly what is happening. If i quit vi and try the script:

[00:16 archangel:/etc] # noc fstab
none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
none                   /dev/shm      tmpfs     defaults            0      0

	If I open it back up in vi and then try to run it:

[00:16 archangel:/etc] # noc fstab
bash: /usr/local/bin/noc: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Text file busy

	How (and where) do I tell bash or vi not to do this. I don't even know where
to start looking.... (I tested on another box that I have NOT updated anything
from [testing] and vi and bash both work properly. Any help would be
appreciated, thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC