[arch-general] vi from testing has gone nuts - does not honor virc/~.virc settings

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Jun 22 03:31:52 EDT 2009

Listmates, Devs:

	I upgraded to testing to test the new dmraid. As part of the upgrade, vi was
changed in a BIG way. (I could hardly use the thing and I have been using it
for 20 years) The screen flashes when you double-escape, in insert mode if you
move to colum 1 things go nuts, insert mode is changed into some kind of
vampire. None of the normal key mappings work, and I can't get my beloved vi
back by restoring the virc from the virc.pacnew - GGRrrrr :-(

	How do I make my vi return to normal? What's the trick? If restoring the virc
and changing the settings has no effect (I even logged out and back) Wher are
the magic settings now?

	And... if the version I have can't be made to behave like my normal vi/vim
again, "Then what is the proper way to downgrade vi so I can get my friend
back?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC