[arch-general] Presto for pacman?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Jun 23 16:49:13 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 23 June 2009 08:34:53 am Andrei Thorp wrote:
> > Excellent,
> >
> >         Two thoughts. (1) delta rpms are great for download size, but
> > computationally expensive on the client side for reinstalls or multiple machine
> > updates, so (2) if possible, can an option be retained to enable/disable use of
> > deltarpms for folks that would like to have full packages?
>
> To be a bother, "Arch doesn't use RPMs".
>
> Cheers,
>
> -AT

(smacks self -- I know Andrei!!)

	I was just responding based on my experience with suse, where in the delta rpm world, the config file finally came with the following caution:

##
## Whether to consider using a .delta.rpm when downloading a package
##
## Valid values: boolean
## Default value: true
##
## Using a delta rpm will decrease the download size for package updates
## since it does not contain all files of the package but only the binary
## diff of changed ones. Recreating the rpm package on the local machine
## is an expensive operation (memory,CPU). If your network connection is
## not too slow, you benefit from disabling .delta.rpm.
##
# download.use_deltarpm = true
download.use_deltarpm = false

	I was talking about the same thinking applied to pacman packages ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC