[arch-general] readline GPL violation on two pkgs?

Andrei Thorp garoth at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 10:58:09 EDT 2009

Excerpts from Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi's message of Wed Jun 24 21:51:14 -0400 2009:
> Aaron Griffin wrote:
> >> And if we get in tight, there are conflicts between different versions
> >> of the GPL, this is ugly. To this are the lawyers, who enjoy these
> >> things, and not for us who are programmers, right?
> >>
> >> Good Luck.
> >>

> > To paraphrase what Thomas said to me: This is all free software, we
> > should be able to use free software with other free software, damnit.
> > It seems to go against the spirit to do things like this. I like this
> > sentiment. I mean, I get that there are zealots out there who strongly
> > believe in their Chosen License as if it were a soccer team, but
> > seriously - it's all free software, and we may be subtly violating the
> > letter of the license, but the letter of the license is violating the
> > _spirit_ of the license.
> >

> Ok Aaron thanks for the clarification :)
>
> I liked this phrase: "...but the letter of the license is violating the
> _spirit_ of the license" ;)

This may be bad thinking, but to be honest -- is Stallman, Linus, or
<BSD Guy> _really_ going to sue a fellow open source program / distro
for just using their stuff?
--
Andrei Thorp, Developer: Xandros Corp. (http://www.xandros.com)

>Ever heard of .cshrc?
That's a city in Bosnia.  Right?
	-- Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of commands