[arch-general] 2 annoying bugs in kde

Edgar Kalkowski eMail at edgar-kalkowski.de
Tue Jun 30 11:50:21 EDT 2009

Hi list!

I am using current KDE 4.2.4 from core and am experiencing these two little things that are not really disturbing but rather annoying:

1) Every time I quit okular it crashes and shows a crash message. A quick search of the web brought up that this was “a minor regression in kdelibs“ and should be fixed by now (sorry, I don’t remember the actual site I read this on). So my question is: Is anyone experiencing the same problem and has a fix? Or do we really just need to wait for an update of KDE? If so: Is an update planned or do we have to wait for 4.3 or 4.2.5?

2) Every time KDE starts up it shows (after a little while) the following message in a native X dialog: “Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.” If I click on “OK” or kill the message window X restarts. A web search on this one revealed nothing really helpful so now I’m just leaving the message window open on an unused desktop. When doing this everything seems to work normal and as expected. In fact “ps -elf | grep ksmserver” reveals that the specified program is indeed running. Does anyone get this error, too, and perhaps knows how to fix it?

Thank you in advance!

Edgar