[arch-general] weird thing with X and nvidia driver

Eric Wong ericsyw at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 02:58:02 EST 2009

Hi,
 I run Arch linux with KDE 4.2 on a machine with a Geforce 6200 LE card. But
recently I have been experiencing some weird things. At the begining I was
running KDE 4.2.0 with a nvidia-180.22 driver and the X process consumes
lots of memory graduately, even to 200+ MB some times. Then I updated to
KDE4.2.1 and the problem disappeared. But today, after I update the video
driver to nvidia-180.29 it is here again. I have no idea which component
cause it. KDE, nvidia dirver or xorg?
  Another weird thing is with the nvidia driver. Before updating to 188.29,
glxgear had about 1060 FPS. After update and I restarted the KDE. Then
glxgear told me the nvidia api dismatch, that is, the kernel module is still
180.22 but other parts of the driver is 180.29, and it has 1300+ FPS, then I
remove the old module and modprobe the new one so it runs 180.29 now, but it
is 1060FPS again. There's no improvement over 180.22!
  What's the problem?