[arch-general] Xorg - Latest in repos

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Sun Mar 15 17:19:33 EDT 2009

I have just installed arch onto a new SATA drive and isused a pacman
-Syu to fetch the latest updates.

I then continued on with alsa-utils then onto xorg

Used pacman -S xorg to install xorg

I then ran Xorg -configure which produced xorg.conf.new

Started X -config /root/xorg.conf.new

X started with the "X" in the screen at which it froze the machine
requiring a hard reset (microsoft reset)

Tried running X without a config file and it locked as well.

Everytime I install X I have this problem,  with the newer versions.

What am I missing when I install?

The Xorg wiki page I believe is out of date for the newer xorg versions.

Can someone list the steps needed to install successfully?

Thank you