[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Fixing licenses / sources

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 16:54:39 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Eric,
>>>
>>> I made a list of 90 extra-packages from your list, that also have bad mandir
>>> Please see here: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13765#comment41164
>>>
>>> Both isdn4k-utils and xinetd from core have bad mandir.
>>>

>>> Take care.
>>
>> We'll also check for mandir at the same time:
>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Snowman/License_Rebuild_Checklist
>>
>> We'll take care or the ones with correct license and bad mandir later.
>
> In addition to the mandir/license thing, we could also do a check for
> info files too.

That's also in the checklist.

> This is getting ambitious :) Sounds like something that could be
> covered on bug day

It would be nice if other devs other than Phil and myself  would try
to do some license rebuild on bug day.  Or at least check for these
things while fixing bugs.  However, on bug day, we probably don't want
all devs doing license rebuild instead of fixing bugs. Most of these
license rebuilds don't have bugs assigned to them; they just a been
built several years ago. Also, doing all these chacks and fixes is
quite time consuming.

A couple of remarks for the rebuilders:

- GPL vs GPL2 vs GPL3 : Remember to check if the packages is licensed
for a specific GPL version or if it's licensed for version 2 or later.
  The best way to do that is to check the main source file. It usually
have a blurb specifying that. Even if the license has been already
added to trunk, better double check as sometime I need to change it
form GPL2 to GPL.

- ChangeLog: If there is a package ChangeLog please add an entry
describing your changes. If there is no ChangeLog, don't add one
unless it's a package that you maintain or want to adopt. Some devs
don't use ChangeLog so it won't be updated which defeats the presence
of a ChangeLog. If there are devs who wants their packages to have
ChangeLog, let us know. We could add them in that case.