[arch-general] On rolling release system and its benefits.

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 17 19:10:26 EDT 2009

Grigorios Bouzakis schrieb:
> Hi, it has been discussed many times in the past. Bottom line is, if
> you want to do that go ahead, the developers wont help you. Meaning
> this will not be an official project.

It's true that there won't be an official project, but it doesn't mean
there won't be any help.
People who know me will know that while I don't always have much time to
do work, I always try to give good advice, and that is what I would also
offer anyone who would start such a project. There will definitely be
help and support from the dev team, but whoever decides to do this will
have to do the actual work himself or herself. And believe me, creating
a stable branch is lots of work - companies like Novell and rich people
like Shuttleworth spend MUCH money on it!

That said, from my and many users' experience, Arch is very stable
despite constantly changing. We have managed to walk the fine line
between bleeding edge and stability/usability, and I think we have been
doing pretty well.