[arch-general] On rolling release system and its benefits.

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 19:48:54 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Grigorios Bouzakis schrieb:
>>
>> Hi, it has been discussed many times in the past. Bottom line is, if
>> you want to do that go ahead, the developers wont help you. Meaning
>> this will not be an official project.
>
> It's true that there won't be an official project, but it doesn't mean there
> won't be any help.
> People who know me will know that while I don't always have much time to do
> work, I always try to give good advice, and that is what I would also offer
> anyone who would start such a project. There will definitely be help and
> support from the dev team, but whoever decides to do this will have to do
> the actual work himself or herself.

Yes i know. After all if you look at the wiki link AndyRTR is listed
at the people willing to help.

A sidenote:
The official replies eg. from phrakture, that a stable branch will not
ever be part of Arch come mostly because noone has done it yet.
If a group of people who are willing to do this devote time and
whatever else is needed and there is adequate demand, and if such a
project actually matures it *might* be part of Arch at some point.
A bright example for the above is the x86_64 Archlinux branch.
AndyRTR felt the need to do it. Other people helped, and got official
afterwards.
But it didnt start as an official project either.
Thats how things work. I dont know if its mentioned in the wiki page,
but its part of the Arch Way.

--
Greg