[arch-general] smbd cannot be killed

Sergey Manucharian sergeym at rmico.com
Fri Mar 20 12:47:10 EDT 2009

Hi folks,

I've posted a message about a samba issue I'm experiencing on the samba
community forum. The issue itself is not relevant to this list, but the
bottom line is that I cannot restart samba - several instances of smbd
continue running and even "kill -9 smbd" doesn't help...

I have to restart the server in such cases, which is not good idea for
the domain controller.

The below is what samba people talk:

> If kill -9 does not help, you have a kernel problem. There
> have been kernels with broken inotify that leads to runaway
> smbd processes chewing CPU. You might want to try

> notify:inotify = false

> or upgrade your kernel.

May it be true? Did anybody experience such things?

Thanks,

Sergey