[arch-general] 3rd Arch install -- on my laptop -- a bit more of a challenge - ATI is the problem

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat May 2 21:00:48 EDT 2009

Listmates,

	My 3rd install of Arch is on my x86_64 laptop (Toshiba 205D). Unfortunately I
have an ATI Radeon 1200 in it and ATI - SUCKS.

(Not to mention they have just royally screwed Linux over by dropping all
support for the R300-R500 series cards while the last driver ATI released [the
9.3 driver] is crippled as hell for many cards)

	I'm currently working to get the radeon driver up and going and when I'm done
I'll look into compiling the last good fglrx driver (8-9 release) for Arch. I'm
not that great of a programmer, so if there are any Arch programmers here that
want to take a look, I could sure use the help.

	The package I will work with is the September '08 driver package you can
obtain at the ati site under previous releases:

ati-driver-installer-8-9-x86.x86_64.run

	You can extract the files with:

ati-driver-installer-8-9-x86.x86_64.run --extract

	If anyone wants to take a look, 2 sets of eyes are always better than 1.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC