[arch-general] Laptop Install - 2 questions remain, WPA and Compiz with Radeon Driver

Jan Spakula teatime at gmx.com
Sun May 3 06:21:05 EDT 2009

Excerpts from David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.'s message of So Mai 03 12:11:04 +0200 2009:
> (1) My laptop has an Atheros card and is happily using the madwifi driver. The
> only problem is that I'm starting it manually and need to know where to put
> the pieces to have it start automatically. Basically, it takes 3 commands to
> get my wifi going:
>
> ESSID=${1:-skyline}
> IFACE=${2:-wlan0}
>
> iwconfig ${IFACE} essid "${ESSID}"
>
> wpa_supplicant -i${IFACE} -Dwext -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -d -B
> >> /var/log/wpa_start.log 2>&1
>
> sleep 2   # This doesn't count as a command
>
> dhcpcd wlan0
>
>     My question is "Where do I put this stuff to make it happen when I start
> Arch??

Install the netcfg package, create a profile under /etc/network.d (there are
some examples, so you shouldn't have any problem), and edit /etc/rc.conf: add
the name of your profile into "NETWORKS=(...)" and add 'net-profiles' to your
DAEMONS.

-- Jan