[arch-general] The ultimate Home Theater / media center computer

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Mon May 4 02:15:33 EDT 2009

2009/5/3 RedShift <redshift at pandora.be>:
> Hi list
[...]

> Anyway, my goal is to build the *ULTIMATE* HTPC.
[...]

> * Processor: Intel Celeron?
>
> No idea how much processing power would be required for a decent
> HTPC. Preferably as low powered as possible, as the CPU will have to
> be passively cooled.

How about a Via Epia CPU?
These have two important advantages for a HTPC:
- fanless (not all models)
- MPEG-accelleration

I've built a HTPC myself as a toy-project, altough i use it mainly for
watching DVDs. So far the Epia works great for me, it's not the
strongest
CPU around, but it's nice and quiet (fanless, HDD/DVD are the only
moving parts).

mvg,
     Guus