[arch-general] Laptop Install - 2 questions remain, WPA and Compiz with Radeon Driver

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon May 4 12:54:18 EDT 2009

On Sunday 03 May 2009 05:21:05 Jan Spakula wrote:
> Excerpts from David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.'s message of So Mai 03 12:11:04
+0200 2009:
> > (1) My laptop has an Atheros card and is happily using the madwifi
> > driver. The only problem is that I'm starting it manually and need to
> > know where to put the pieces to have it start automatically. Basically,
> > it takes 3 commands to get my wifi going:
> >
> > ESSID=${1:-skyline}
> > IFACE=${2:-wlan0}
> >
> > iwconfig ${IFACE} essid "${ESSID}"
> >
> > wpa_supplicant -i${IFACE} -Dwext -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -d -B

> > sleep 2   # This doesn't count as a command
> >
> > dhcpcd wlan0
> >
> >     My question is "Where do I put this stuff to make it happen when I
> > start Arch??
>
> Install the netcfg package, create a profile under /etc/network.d (there
> are some examples, so you shouldn't have any problem), and edit
> /etc/rc.conf: add the name of your profile into "NETWORKS=(...)" and add
> 'net-profiles' to your DAEMONS.
>
> -- Jan

Jan,

	While I'm at it, where can I turn the default attempt to start 'eth0' off.
All I care about is wireless on my laptop. If I need the wired connection I
can go start it manually, but I'd like to get rid of the ... waiting and the
[Fail] on boot. I thought about removing 'main' from the NETWORK  section,
but I didn't want to kill the loopback setup (if that's where it is done).
What say the gurus? Where do I turn off the attempt to start eth0?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC