[arch-general] org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable no <-- (action, result)

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon May 4 13:42:46 EDT 2009

On Monday 04 May 2009 07:37:50 flashkot wrote:
> 2009/5/4 Angel Velásquez <angvp at archlinux.com.ve>
>
> > On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 6:09 AM, David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
> >
> > >        org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable no <-- (action,
> >
> > result)
> >
> > Did you tried [0] ?
> >
> > [0] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HAL#Auto-mounting_fails
>
> This also may help: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HAL#Mounting_fails
>
> I once has a problem with automount and this tip helped.
>
> WBR,
> flashkot

Man that is frustrating. Still unable to mount the NTFS partitions on the
removable disk.

The wiki helped with the ext3 partitions, but I still do not understand why
man hal was wrong on suggesting the following (3) scenarios:

<define_admin_auth group="wheel"/>

Should give members of the wheel group full access to all mounts, but it did
not?

	<match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable">
		<match group="users">
			<return result="yes"/>
		</match>
	</match>

Should give group "users" (the default group GID 100) the ability to mount
removable devices but it did not?

	<match user="david">
		<return result="yes"/>
	</match>

Should give "me" full access to mounting/unmounting, but it did not?

	The question then becomes why did the following work for ext3:

        <match user="david">
                <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.*">
                        <return result="yes"/>
                </match>
                <match action="hal-storage-mount-fixed-extra-options">
                        <return result="yes" />
                </match>
                <match action="hal-storage-mount-removable-extra-options">
                        <return result="yes" />
                </match>
        </match>

	Why in the world did this <match user="david"> work when the one just above
didn't? One of my goals in life is to avoid looking in /etc/hal
and /etc/dbus-1 ... I'm failing miserably ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC