[arch-general] Laptop Install - 2 questions remain, WPA and Compiz with Radeon Driver

Jan Spakula teatime at gmx.com
Mon May 4 16:15:55 EDT 2009

Excerpts from David Rosenstrauch's message of Mo Mai 04 19:05:09 +0200 2009:
> David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. wrote:
> >     While I'm at it, where can I turn the default attempt to start 'eth0' off.
>
> # Interfaces to start at boot-up (in this order)
> # Declare each interface then list in INTERFACES
> #   - prefix an entry in INTERFACES with a ! to disable it
>
> INTERFACES=(lo !eth0 eth1)

Actually, in the majority of cases you don't need 'lo' interface in INTERFACES,
since it's brought up during the boot process (in rc.sysinit), so unless you
want to have a possibility of disabling it by bringing down the network daemon
(which is rarely desired), you don't need it there.

Likewise, the interfaces managed by the netcfg2's net-profiles don't need to be
in INTERFACES, otherwise you might get some undesired behavior (like taking the
wireless interface down when shutting down the network daemon). In fact, the
network daemon and the net-profiles daemon are independent. So if you only use
your wireless interface and use net-profiles for it, you can disable the
'network' daemon altogether.

Best,
  Jan