[arch-general] New vi/vim/gvim in testing requires intervention

Frédéric Perrin frederic.perrin at resel.fr
Wed May 6 13:15:53 EDT 2009

Le Mercredi 6 à 13:07, Jan de Groot a écrit :
> On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 07:54 -0300, André Ramaciotti wrote:
>> Just a question about this new vi package. Am I the only one having
>> problems when openning UTF-8 files? I can't even type words with
>> diacritics or vi will abort. For example, try to create a file with
>> the following and then open it with the new vi package:
>>
>> This line will render fine
>> Mas essa aqui não ("but this one won't" in Portuguese).
>
> [...]
>
> If you want support for non-ASCII charsets and other things offered by
> vim, just install vim.

I have a system whose users' real names can't be written in ASCII, and
this being the 21st century, not the 70's, I have the real name (with
accents) in the GECOS field in /etc/passwd. Not being a vi{,m} user, I
just have whatever the default package for vi is installed.

Then for whatever reason, /etc/passwd is b0rked, and I have to boot into
single usermode to repair that, and all I can use is vi. vi crashes when
I open /etc/passwd. Now what ? Or, $config_file has comments in my native
language, and vi crashes when I open it.

FreeBSD's vi (actually nvi) can't manage non-ASCII characters, but at
least it doesn't crash.

(Actually :
1. I'm an emacs user, so I would use emacs ;-p ;
2. cut -d: -f -4,6- < /etc/passwd > /etc/passwd.no-real)

--
Fred