[arch-general] New vi/vim/gvim in testing requires intervention

Pierre Chapuis catwell at archlinux.us
Wed May 6 16:15:19 EDT 2009

Le Wed, 6 May 2009 14:53:43 -0500,
Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Might be worth seeing if we can find a patch to fix the crash at least.

Patching might be a good idea, but if you just patch the crash I think it will still be even more dangerous to put this version of vi in core because of the behavior described by André Ramaciotti.

If any user whose language is not English writes a comment at the top of a config file (say rc.conf or /etc/sudoers if he runs visudo) and saves it, this config file will be emptied and he won't know it. Guess what will happen when he tries to reboot.

There is a simple, easy to use and mostly bug-free editor in core, it's nano. Why the need for another one?

--
Pierre 'catwell' Chapuis